This was frustrating me for a while until I got it to work. The idea behind this is in order for the guest OS (virtual machine) to see your USB devices, it needs to handle the port before the host OS. Here’s how to do it:
- Install the Virtual Box Extension Pack.
- Install the Guest Additions in your guest OS. (You’ll find it in the Devices menu).
- Power off the virtual machine and in the USB section enable USB controller and EHCI controller.
- Add an empty USB filter (all empty strings). It should be called “New Filter 1”, not the device name since that might give you problems.
- Start the virtual machine, then once booted, plug the USB device (if it’s already plugged, unplug and plug again). The guest OS should grab it before the host OS.